Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset: What’s the difference?
Is the way your mind works holding you back? Do you have a growth mindset or a fixed mindset? What does that even mean? The book Mindset by Carol Dweck covers this topic in depth and I would highly recommend reading it. But for now, let’s look at how what’s going on in your noggin very well may be keeping you for reaching your goals and dreams. What’s the difference between a Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset? Let’s take a look.
ACTION IDEA #1: As I list these traits off, go into these two lists with neutrality. Meaning, make no judgement about them, do not look for which one is more you or identify these traits in people you know. That will only distract you from understanding each one. For now, listen and understand the traits. Do not try to recognize them in yourself of others.
THE FIXED MINDSET:
- Avoids challenges
- Shy away from things you don’t know
- Unable to handle criticism or feedback
- Intelligence and talent is static and does not develop post birth
- Do not carry out actions without seeking approval
- Focused on proving yourself
- Threatened by the success of others
- Effort is not regarded as fruitful
- Understanding failure as the limit of ability
- Gives up easily
THE GROWTH MINDSET:
- View challenges as opportunities
- Acknowledge and embrace your weakness
- Learn to give and receive constructive criticism
- Intelligence and talent is dynamic and ever-improving
- Prioritize learning over seeking approval
- Focus on the process instead of the end result
- Be inspired by the success of others
- Think of learning as Brain Training
- Understanding failure as an opportunity to grow
- Persists in the face of setbacks
ACTION IDEA #2: No let’s go back over the lists. Starting with FIXED, looking at each trait, rate yourself on a scale from 1-5, five meaning this trait is dominate, 1 being this trait has no control over you at all. Add them up. Then go over the GROWTH mindset and repeat. What was your score? Which leads to, what side of the mind are you spending the majority of your time?
What to do if you’re too fixed?
Try the GROWTH MINDSET mantra. A mantra is a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation but it can also be a statement or slogan repeated frequently. Try making this statement multiple times a day until it starts to click.
“I embrace challenges because I view challenges as opportunities. I am curious about things I don’t know and I acknowledge, embrace and train to strengthen my weakness. I am willing to give and receive constructive criticism. My intelligence and talent is dynamic and ever-improving. I prioritize learning over seeking approval. I focus on the process instead of just the end result. I am inspired by the success of others. I think of learning as brain training. I understanding failure as an opportunity to grow. I persist in the face of setbacks.”
Make this your postulate. Assume the existence, fact, and truth of this statement as being your only reality. Speak it and command it into existence. Remember, you were born with a GROWTH MINDSET. If you have a FIXED mindset it was taught to you and then you used your experience to confirm something in your mind that wasn’t true in reality. So if it was learned, it can be unlearned and the original programming can take its rightful place. Try saying this mantra 3 times a day for 21 days and see what that does for you…